|NYSE||Adv 1867||Dec 1057||Vol 1.17 bln|
|Nasdaq||Adv 0||Dec 0||Vol 1.63 bln|
IN THE NEWS HIGHLIGHTS:
- US equities markets are split. S&P closed flat, Dow slightly down, Nasdaq slightly up.
- Discretionary sector in focus after sales/earnings warnings from several components.
- Airlines outperform after upbeat December traffic data from Alaska Air (ALK).
- Crude oil continues to drop.
- U.S. Dollar Index finishes slightly higher.
RECAP– The market had a huge rally in the morning, but sold off in the afternoon giving up its earlier gains. The S&P ended up closing flat while the Dow was slightly down and the Nasdaq finished a little higher. Crude oil continued to sell off throughout the day. The US dollar rebounded slightly to finish slightly higher.
In-depth look of daily news at Briefing.com (CLICK HERE)
In-depth look at after hours movers (CLICK HERE)
- January 10: JOLTS Job Openings – Actual: 5.52M Forecast: 5.59M Previous: 5.45M
- The JOLTS Job openings number is the official figure for the number of jobs that are looking to be filled (excluding farming). It is more important to keep track of this figure as job growth has been slow as it gives us an indication of what the future of the labor market holds. Last month’s figure was revised down by 80K which caused this month’s figure to miss its forecast.
- January 11: Crude Oil Inventories
- January 12: Unemployment Claims
- January 12: Fed Chair Yellen Speaks
- January 12: Core Retail Sales m/m
- January 12: PPI m/m
- January 12: Retail Sales m/m
- January 12: Prelim UoM Consumer Sentiment
FedWatch February 1 Rate Hike Probability for January 10: 2.0% (View the probability chart here)
A Look At The S&P 500 Chart – KEY Levels
- RSI is above 50.
- On Balance Volume is at its moving average.
- Price action has outpaced its moving averages.
- This chart is overextended. There has been a run up of nearly 200 points or roughly 10% since its low in November.
- On the intraday: market had a significant rally but gave up all of its gains later in the day. This is usually a bearish sign as it shows that momentum ended with the bears and that there wasn’t enough confidence for the bulls to hold overnight.
A Look Into the Heat Map
The market was scattered today and hard to identify many trends. It is tough to see how the Nasdaq finished higher since a lot of the large-cap tech companies finished lower. Basic Materials looked the worst as crude oil continued to retrace.
VIX – 11.47
Oil (USO) – Bullish
Ag (DBA) – Bearish
GLD – Bearish – Gold has been in a “relief rally” following months of constant selling. It should continue to fade higher as the US dollar retracements. By no means am I bullish on Gold or Silver as they are still in a long term bearish trend and this is more of a temporary retracement. I would like to see a bottoming pattern before changing my bias.
SLV – Bearish – Same as gold.
UUP – USD weighted ETF – Bullish – The bullish momentum has slowed in the US Dollar and has been consolidating in this area.
SOLON’S TRADING THOUGHTS
The market was mixed today. There is not much in the way of momentum at the present time. The market is waiting for some kind of catalyst to either push it higher or lower. Currently, it looks to be a struggle for the market to climb higher.
You can follow daily trade adjustments and updates on Twitter, Facebook, or text “follow @tackletrading” to 40404 to get text alerts!
If you are not a Pro Member and following the Stock & Option Picks, then check it out! There is a Promo code for Free 15 day trial: THETA
Tackle Trading LLC (“Tackle Trading”) is providing this website and any related materials, including newsletters, blog posts, videos, social media postings and any other communications (collectively, the “Materials”) on an “as-is” basis. This means that although Tackle Trading strives to make the information accurate, thorough and current, neither Tackle Trading nor the author(s) of the Materials or the moderators guarantee or warrant the Materials or accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from the use of the Materials, whether based in tort, contract, or otherwise. Tackle Trading is providing the Materials for educational purposes only. We are not providing legal, accounting, or financial advisory services, and this is not a solicitation or recommendation to buy or sell any stocks, options, or other financial instruments or investments. Examples that address specific assets, stocks, options or other financial instrument transactions are for illustrative purposes only and are not intended to represent specific trades or transactions that we have conducted. In fact, for the purpose of illustration, we may use examples that are different from or contrary to transactions we have conducted or positions we hold. Furthermore, this website and any information or training herein are not intended as a solicitation for any future relationship, business or otherwise, between the users and the moderators. No express or implied warranties are being made with respect to these services and products. By using the Materials, each user agrees to indemnify and hold Tackle Trading harmless from all losses, expenses and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising out of or resulting from user’s use of the Materials. In no event shall Tackle Trading or the author(s) or moderators be liable for any direct, special, consequential or incidental damages arising out of or related to the Materials. If this limitation on damages is not enforceable in some states, the total amount of Tackle Trading’s liability to the user or others shall not exceed the amount paid by the user for such Materials.
All investing and trading in the securities market involves a high degree of risk. Any decisions to place trades in the financial markets, including trading in stocks, options or other financial instruments, is a personal decision that should only be made after conducting thorough independent research, including a personal risk and financial assessment, and prior consultation with the user’s investment, legal, tax and accounting advisers, to determine whether such trading or investment is appropriate for that user.