|NYSE||Adv 2029||Dec 919||Vol 1.06 bln|
|Nasdaq||Adv 1679||Dec 1377||Vol 1.77 bln|
IN THE NEWS HIGHLIGHTS:
- Global equities rally with China as the lone decliner.
- Health care falls after President-elect Trump shares his desire to bring back pharmaceutical operations to the U.S.
- Airlines outperform after upbeat December traffic data from American Airlines (AAL) and United Continental (UAL).
- Crude oil rises despite excess supply in EIA inventories report snapping 2-day losing streak.
- U.S. Dollar Index finishes lower.
RECAP– After a volatile, roller-coaster of a day the market ended the day with a strong rally to finish moderately higher. Crude oil rallied on the day despite the EIA inventory report indicating an excess in supply higher than expectations which ended a strong 2-day losing streak. The US dollar also saw significant volatility today, ultimately finishing lower which gave a boost to gold.
In-depth look of daily news at Briefing.com (CLICK HERE)
In-depth look at after hours movers (CLICK HERE)
- January 11: Crude Oil Inventories – Actual: 4.1M Forecast: 0.9M Previous: -7.1M
- The JOLTS Job openings number is the official figure for the number of jobs that are looking to be filled (excluding farming). It is more important to keep track of this figure as job growth has been slow as it gives us an indication of what the future of the labor market holds. Last month’s figure was revised down by 80K which caused this month’s figure to miss its forecast.
- January 12: Unemployment Claims
- January 12: Fed Chair Yellen Speaks
- January 12: Core Retail Sales m/m
- January 12: PPI m/m
- January 12: Retail Sales m/m
- January 12: Prelim UoM Consumer Sentiment
FedWatch February 1 Rate Hike Probability for January 11: 2.0% (View the probability chart here)
A Look At The S&P 500 Chart – KEY Levels
- RSI is above 50.
- On Balance Volume is at its moving average.
- Today’s intraday market action saw a lot of volatility. The strong rally that began just before 2pm ran right into the 4pm close. Closes that are that strong usually carry the momentum to the beginning of the next day.
A Look Into the Heat Map
The market showed bullishness throughout most of the sectors. Healthcare was the only sector that was bearish today due to comments made by President-Elect Donald Trump.
VIX – 11.21
Oil (USO) – Bullish
Ag (DBA) – Bearish
GLD – Bearish – Gold has been in a “relief rally” following months of constant selling. It should continue to fade higher as the US dollar retracements. By no means am I bullish on Gold or Silver as they are still in a long term bearish trend and this is more of a temporary retracement. I would like to see a bottoming pattern before changing my bias.
SLV – Bearish – Same as gold.
UUP – USD weighted ETF – Bullish – The bullish momentum has slowed in the US Dollar and has been consolidating in this area.
SOLON’S TRADING THOUGHTS
The market has been trading with very little volatility or movement (from a longer term perspective) as of late. The VIX has been steadily dropping while price action has been consolidating at its high. It looks like the market is waiting for some stimulus before making a new trend. Also note that tomorrow looks to be a big day with a lot of new economic data coming out.
You can follow daily trade adjustments and updates on Twitter, Facebook, or text “follow @tackletrading” to 40404 to get text alerts!
If you are not a Pro Member and following the Stock & Option Picks, then check it out! There is a Promo code for Free 15 day trial: THETA
Tackle Trading LLC (“Tackle Trading”) is providing this website and any related materials, including newsletters, blog posts, videos, social media postings and any other communications (collectively, the “Materials”) on an “as-is” basis. This means that although Tackle Trading strives to make the information accurate, thorough and current, neither Tackle Trading nor the author(s) of the Materials or the moderators guarantee or warrant the Materials or accept liability for any damage, loss or expense arising from the use of the Materials, whether based in tort, contract, or otherwise. Tackle Trading is providing the Materials for educational purposes only. We are not providing legal, accounting, or financial advisory services, and this is not a solicitation or recommendation to buy or sell any stocks, options, or other financial instruments or investments. Examples that address specific assets, stocks, options or other financial instrument transactions are for illustrative purposes only and are not intended to represent specific trades or transactions that we have conducted. In fact, for the purpose of illustration, we may use examples that are different from or contrary to transactions we have conducted or positions we hold. Furthermore, this website and any information or training herein are not intended as a solicitation for any future relationship, business or otherwise, between the users and the moderators. No express or implied warranties are being made with respect to these services and products. By using the Materials, each user agrees to indemnify and hold Tackle Trading harmless from all losses, expenses and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees, arising out of or resulting from user’s use of the Materials. In no event shall Tackle Trading or the author(s) or moderators be liable for any direct, special, consequential or incidental damages arising out of or related to the Materials. If this limitation on damages is not enforceable in some states, the total amount of Tackle Trading’s liability to the user or others shall not exceed the amount paid by the user for such Materials.
All investing and trading in the securities market involves a high degree of risk. Any decisions to place trades in the financial markets, including trading in stocks, options or other financial instruments, is a personal decision that should only be made after conducting thorough independent research, including a personal risk and financial assessment, and prior consultation with the user’s investment, legal, tax and accounting advisers, to determine whether such trading or investment is appropriate for that user.